Well, Jeff and I have had some interesting Valentine’s Day celebrations over the years. Yesterday was just par for the course.

We were scheduled to attend a Family Small Group potluck with some friends at our church. About 5-8 families gather each month to celebrate “Life Together”, share a meal and visit together. And even though I had been sleeping throughout most of the day I was determined to attend the gathering.

One of the things that my doctors ask me to monitor is my temperature for signs of a fever.  If my temperature goes above 38.5 degrees I’m to pack my things and head straight away to the hospital. And as I checked my temperature each hour, I was happy to be hovering in the “stay at home” range.

And then, just as we were getting ready for the event, my temperature exploded to 39.1 degrees.  No fooling around. No arguing. No “wait and see”. Just pack my things and head out to the hospital. We called our friends and arranged to drop Nathan off at the potluck so that he could have some fun. 

When I got to triage, where they take the initial review of my symptoms I was given a mask to protect myself from whatever germs and the like that might be out there. It was just a short wait before I was ushered into my room at the back of the ER. In fact, such a short wait that Jeff hadn’t returned yet from dropping Nathan off and picking up dinner! 

Blood work was ordered and a chest x-ray too. The x-ray came back clear (but doesn’t explain the bark of a cough that I have right now) and the initial look at the blood work didn’t show any problems either. We’ll know more in the next 24 hours as we wait for the blood culture results.

I was discharged from the hospital with a prescription for antibiotics around 8:00 last night and despite everything, we all slept fairly well.  Even Nathan stayed in his bed, asleep, until 7:00 this morning.

I have spent more time than most in the Ajax Pickering Hospital as a patient over the years. I often recognize the nurses, and they recognize me (and not in a “oh no not her again…” kind of way). I am so thankful for the care that I have received there over the years, and the opportunities to heal and find rest.

So where does that leave me today? I have been continuing to fight a fever for most of the day. I spent the afternoon resting, sleeping and trying to cool myself down from the fever.

And while the “health part” of this weekend was difficult, I was unprepared to battle with my own expectations of how I wanted to celebrate this weekend with my family. Valentine’s Day, Family Day and Jeff’s Birthday  make this a special weekend and I had my own plans on how I wanted to make the weekend special for them and for me. I am reminded that these celebrations are not about heart shaped cookies, special meals, cakes, heart decorations and the like. They are about celebrating the lives of the loved ones in my life. 

And so, with that said, I should go and spend some time with them before Nathan goes to sleep and before I drift off too.

Thank you for your continued prayers for our family at this time. We’ll keep you posted as things change.