Here are some updates from Tuesday.  Jeff and Nathan dropped me off at the GO Station and I travelled down to PMH.  I arrived in time for my appointment and before I could take my coat off, I was called in for the Blood Transfusion.  I was paired up for the day with one of my favourite nurses (she’s never failed at getting the IV hooked up on the first try) and she didn’t fail me on Tuesday.  It’s such a small thing, but when you get poked with needles as often as I do, it’s nice to have a nurse who can set up an IV on the first try.  

While I was waiting for the bags of blood to arrive I visited with a couple who were finishing up their day at the hospital.  The man had received blood that day and the wife cared for him so tenderly.  After he left the room, I spoke with her about what it is like to be a caregiver and encouraged her in her role.  We both cried as she shared that her husband wanted to hold on for another 1 1/2 so they could celebrate 50 years of marriage together.  It was a touching moment.

After the transfusion (4:30) I walked across the street to Toronto General Hospital to meet my sister for Starbucks (she paid…).  My CT scan was scheduled for 9:00 p.m. but we figured that it wouldn’t hurt to see if there were any cancellations or even a chance that they could take me early.  I was told that I could wait in the waiting room, but that there would be no guarantee that I would be seen early.  We decided instead to brave the cold and walk to Eaton’s Centre for dinner.  We arrived back at 8:00 and waited.  At 8:30 the technician called my name and said “Hey, I was looking for you at 5:00!”  Grrrrrr.  That said, I wouldn’t have traded the visit with my sister.  Thanks Pammy.

CT scans are not my favourite thing in the world.  I mean, I know that there are much more invasive treatments, tests and scans but CT scans… I don’t know.  I was thankful that I didn’t have to drink that “juice” for this scan, but I was hooked up to an IV (1st try!)  I usually sing or recite Bible verses as I’m waiting for the scan to be finished, but since this was a scan of my neck, throat, nose… I needed to keep my mouth still.  I couldn’t even swallow at times.  I don’t know, I’m just glad that this one is behind me.

My next appointment with the doctor is February 2nd and that’s when I’ll have the results of the scan as well as the dates for my next chemo. I’ve been tired this week but not overwhelmingly so.  I’ve also taken a lot of time to rest and I think that has helped.

I should also mention that we are all sleeping better this past week.  I know that is a result of your prayers for us.  Even Nathan is sleeping better. For the most part, he is staying in his room until at least 6:30 a.m. which, while unpleasant, isn’t unreasonable.  There have even been a few times where he’s crawled up beside Jeff and fallen back to sleep.  We are thankful!  And less tired!

Also, the pain in my ears has been going away slowly.  It certainly isn’t as intense as it was 2 weeks ago.  Another answer to prayer.

I’ve been thinking about this blog and my expectations for writing each week.  I think that it is reasonable to say that my expectation for myself is to write 2-3 entries each week depending on how I’m feeling.  I have so many thoughts that I am eager to write and to share with you.  Cancer has changed my life and the way I look at the world around me and I look forward to sharing those thoughts and experiences with you.