It’s been over two weeks since we first sent out our note to you and a lot has happened during that time. I wanted to take a minute to update you before I head off to rest.

We went back to PMH on January 5, 2009 to see Dr. Crump (who was back from sabbatical leave) and it was a long day.  Based on the appointment a week earlier, we were prepared for some difficult news but we hadn’t anticipated the long wait.  My appointment was scheduled for 11:45 but we weren’t even taken into the examination room until 3:30.

Once we saw Dr. Crump he suggested that we try a chemo treatment that I have had in the past, instead of starting right away on one of the treatments suggested a week earlier.  This news had huge implications for us as it meant that the chemo treatment would be taken by pill, at home.  I am still monitored at PMH for blood work but this treatment eliminated (for now) the need for IV meds, 1-3 trips downtown each week.  Rather than heading into the unknown, this treatment also held some familiarity for us as a family since I had taken it in the past with good results.  

As it stands today, I have finished my first treatment of Fludara and Cyclophosphamide and I will go see Dr. Crump again on Monday, January 19, 2009.  I must admit that it is strange to take chemotherapy pills in my own kitchen, but I am thankful for the science that allows it to happen. Mostly I am tired and I am working hard to find the balance of what I can and cannot do.  I am determined to do all that I can do and equally determined to recognize when I’m all spent up.

As you can imagine, cancer/chemo effects our whole family in a variety of ways and we are all still trying to figure it out.  

Quick Prayer:

-Nathan’ bedtime routine.  He’s two so I have to remind myself that some of these problems are age related, but he’s giving us a run for our money these days.  He’s often out of bed many times before he falls asleep.  Often it’s past 9:00 p.m. before he falls asleep and more often than not he’s in our bed before the crow “cock-a-doodle-doo’s” in the morning.  He’s exhausted and we’re exhausted.

-My ears are really sore and we’re unsure of the cause.  We (and the doctors) think that it may just be that the glands in my neck are too big and are pressing up against everything inside.  There is little relief and none of my homemade remedies work consistently (Tylenol, hot water bottle, ice pack, popsicles, ice cream…).

-Rest. Rest that restores and gives energy. Deep rest.